ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
Feed Preview FAQs

f you work onboard a ship, you need to spend 183 days in any 365 day period outside of the UK 12 mile limit. If you are salary then any foreign holidays you go on will also count as you are technically on paid leave. Its where you or the boat is at midnight that counts. Within your 365 claim period every time you come back into the UK you must pass the test of half your total number of days in your claim period must always be more than the total number of days you have spent in the UK.

The ship must do at least ONE foreign port call each claim period. The ship must be capable of self propulsion and self navigation. Semi subs do count if they can move themselves about, however they cease to be classed as a ship once they start drilling or start work on a subsea structure. Its reasonably easy to do without paying Seatax or anyone else, you do need good records and proof you were 1) out the country on holiday or 2) working on the ship, preferably also proof of the details of the ships voyage. More details at


There is no such "qualification" as ROV Pilot. Unlike the Diving Industry which requires people to have specific training and qualification requirements.

IMCA, who are a Trade Organisation, have developed a minimum training and competency scheme which most companies follow. However, they have no legal standing and they do NOT certify anyone, despite what some of the Training Schools try and say.

From the IMCA website:-

"IMCA receives a number of enquiries issued relating to its competence assurance and assessment guidance. As suggested above, these are not IMCA-issued certificates and any enquiries relating to them should be addressed directly to the issuer or employing contractor as appropriate. This topic is addressed in the set of FAQs relating to the competence assurance and assessment guidance."

"IMCA does not issue certificates of competence. IMCA's role in direct certification is very limited indeed and only involves certain positions in the diving industry (offshore diving supervisors and life support technicians). Other than this, certificates may feature the IMCA logo when indicating IMCA membership on the part of the issuing organisation, but they are not imcaissued or imcarecognised certificates.

Certificates are not mandatory under the IMCA guidance, but some contractors may find them useful. There should, however, be an auditable trail of work experience and assessment records, which can include logbooks, competence records (combined in the IMCA logbook series), computer-based records, certificates or other documents. Those working for companies with schemes in line with the IMCA guidance will be able to be assessed and achieve a record of their training, experience and competence assessments that will be more easily transferable and ready for other such companies. Many companies take advantage of IMCA logbooks and the stand-alone ‘IMCA Record of Competence’ for recording these details in a formalised, consistent manner.

IMCA guidance recommends that competence assessment should be ongoing and that a three-year revalidation period might be appropriate, (see "How long does competence last"), but the specific requirements will be down to the employing contractor's work practices and interpretation of the guidance in formulating its own competence scheme. Employees will need to contact their certificate issuer if they find themselves with an expired assessment record."

IMCA (International Maritime Contractors Association) is a trade group set up by like minded companies to develop common standards. They are not a Statutory group, they cannot dictate, they are just a bunch of people who decided to band together.
They have produced a leaflet to assist people who wish to join the ROV industry, it is available at [url][/url]
Note that they say:
[quote]Generally there are no statutory requirements for ROV personnel to have particular qualifications.
However, IMCA has published guidance entitled Entry level requirements and basic introductory course for remotely operated vehicle (ROV) personnel (IMCA R 002, as revised) which may be regarded as an appropriate minimum standard.
Training courses are available at a number of schools which allow newcomers to the industry to learn the basics and hopefully to comply with at least IMCA R 002. However, none of these courses is formally required as a prerequisite by any employers, and they will normally not be accepted as a basis for employment unless the person has the sort of background and
qualifications described above. IMCA recommends that individuals discuss their own employment prospects with contractors before going on a training course.
Many of the larger ROV contractors train personnel in-house, allowing them to focus training on a particular area of commercial interest. A number of  independent training establishments offer more general or other specialised training.[/quote]
[quote]There is no world-wide approval system for training providers[/quote]
Many Training Schools like to imply (some don't even do that, they blatantly lie!) that you MUST do their courses to get a job offshore. Worse, some in the past have said they are CERTIFIED by IMCA, something which is obviously not true as IMCA do not certify anyone. Also these courses are ENTRY LEVEL, you do not walk out of a Training School as an ROV Pilot, no matter what they tell you or how many shiny bits of paper they give you.
That said, Training Schools do have their place, it is up to an individual to decide whether it is value for money for them to pay for such a course, as long as they do so without all the sales blurb and some downright lies.
IMCA say what we have always said on ROVWorld to anyone wishing to join the ROV industry:
[quote]Employers normally require ROV personnel to have a good background in electronics or hydraulics. Candidates who do not have formal qualifications (academic, trade or in the armed forces) in one of these areas are unlikely to be considered.[/quote]

 If you were thinking of Thailand, you are thinking of the wrong Hooker. A Happy Hooker is otherwise known as a mooring buoy retrieval hook. It allows you to pass a rope through the eye of a mooring buoy or other mooring rings ti tie up your boat.

It is used in ROVs during the recovery of an ROV or other equipment that is recovered back inboard. It allows you to pass a rope through the equipment to allow better control while coming inboard.

It can be found at

1) Firstly go to Your Account settings/Change Info

2) Under the option 'Notify on new Private Message by Email': Set it to 'Yes'.

3) Check that the email address is correct in your account settings.

4) Check that that your email account is actually receiving email from another source.

5) Check that your email filter is not blocking mail from and treating it as spam.

6) Look in your Spam folder for any mail from 

7) If you have  'White List' add the domain to the list, or if you have a 'treat mail from the domain as safe' use that option.[/list]

You should receive notifications if your account/email meets the above criteria.

FOB means Free On Board

A trade term requiring the seller to deliver goods on board a vessel designated by the buyer. The seller fulfills its obligations to deliver when the goods have passed over the ship's rail.

When used in trade terms, the word "free" means the seller has an obligation to deliver goods to a named place for transfer to a carrier.

C.I.F - cost, insurance and freight

A trade term requiring the seller to arrange for the carriage of goods by sea to a port of destination, and provide the buyer with the documents necessary to obtain the goods from the carrier.

International health regulations require a booster every 10 years
Check with your local doctor and ask them. Do it as soon as possible don't leave it until just a few days before you travel.
Make sure you travel with a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

The company offering you work always pays for al flight and accommodation expenses.  This should never be in dispute.  If you are being asked to pay for your flight you may be being taken for a ride!

Never pay for your own flight because, if a job is cancelled at the last moment, you may not get your money back!  If you are offered work then the company should arrange all travel and cover the costs incurred via their appointed agent.

The company should arrange hotel accommodation to their account not yours.   All accommodation and food (on land or anywhere else) should be paid by the company. Example: Say you live in one part of your country and have to fly to another major city during the day, but the next onward flight is early the next morning.

When you are offered work the company should instruct an agent to handle the visa application and booking of flights. Some companies will ask you to apply for a visa in your own country, for work in another country. This is not an unusual practice. You can do this and claim costs back on expenses.

Normally a letter of sponsorship would need to be sent to you to assist in the visa application at your local embassy. On other occasions you fly in on a tourist visa and it will be converted by the local agent, or you fly in and are met by an agent who has you processed through immigration as signing onto a ship.


Add to Google
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My AOL
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to netvibes
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe with PageFlakes
Subscribe in Rojo
Add this site to your Protopage
Add to Newsburst
Subscribe in NewsAlloy
Add to Blogarithm FAQs in ATOM 1.0 format FAQs in RSS 0.91 format FAQs in RSS 2.0 format

Valid Atom 1.0
Valid RSS
Search ROVworld NEWS

Site Info