ROVworld Subsea Information

Advertise on ROVworld.com!

Offshore News: BP Thunderhorse Listing After Hurricane Dennis Evacuation

Posted on 12.07.2005 - 10:15 UTC in OFFSHORE NEWS by admin

skinnyme writes:  

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) ## BP Plc. said late Monday that Thunder Horse, one if its big Gulf of Mexico deepwater oil rigs, was listing badly after Hurricane Dennis swept through area this past weekend.


The semi-submersible rig, an essential component in the development of the Thunder Horse oil and gas field on Mississippi Canyon Block 778, about 150 miles southeast of New Orleans, was heeled over at an angle of 20 to 30 degrees, the company said.


While too early to say what caused the rig to lean, righting and repairing it could pose a costly delay to BP's plans to bring the field on line later this year.


BP (BP: news, chart, profile) is operator on the Thunder Horse field, holding a 75% stake in the project, with partner Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM: news, chart, profile) holding the remaining 25%.

The giant rig was evacuated Friday as a precaution ahead of the storm, which slammed ashore Sunday along the Florida-Alabama border.

The Thunder Horse platform is among the world's biggest deepwater production platforms, designed to process about 250,000 barrels of crude oil a day, 200 million cubic feet of natural gas and accommodate a crew of 229.

Semi-submersible platforms float atop huge pontoons and are kept in place by anchors run out from each of the rig's corners to the seabed, which in this case is 6,050 feet below the surface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Source: http://www.marketwatch.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Share:
click Related        click Rate This        click Share
Associated Topics

OFFSHORE NEWS
Search ROVworld NEWS

Site Info
 
Poll ?
How many days did you work offshore in 2016? (All votes anonymous)




Results
Polls

Votes 719
ROVworld Feeds
 
Facebook

ROVworld.com - ROV News, Discussions, Jobs and more