ROVworld Subsea Information

Register Today for Underwater Intervention 2017
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Quote
hello!

I am extremely interested in a ROV career and I am seeking an apprenticeship/trainee position

Can anyone help me find one? Can you refer me to your company?

Thanks!
Quote
No.

Why would I refer you when I have no idea who you are, where you are or if you are even capable of doing the job?

What work have YOU done to try and get a start in ROVs ?
Quote
roverman wrote:
hello!

I am extremely interested in a ROV career and I am seeking an apprenticeship/trainee position

Can anyone help me find one? Can you refer me to your company?

Thanks!


As Ray said experience in the ROV disciplines is essential, the flying traing comes when you have got the job. There are contact lists on this forum of ROV related companies, come back with more information about your background and you will get more helpful information.

John
Quote
Wow Roverman...

Are you serious????? This has to be a wind up surely....

I dont even think its worth mentioning the forum pages to search for information is it?

Not to be rude, but if you ever get out of your paperbag you might stand a chance.... Shocked Laughing
"Keep it in view or it'll look wanky on the video!!"
Quote
One would almost think that an apology might be in order for the short shrift the OP received as a result of their questions. However, you need to be able to help yourself and make an effort to get ahead in the ROV game.

So, indicate what experience you have or what you have done so far to get into the industry, and help might come your way.

If you look at previous posts from those asking questions, who have clearly carried out some research and offer something to the industry, you'll note that get a much more positive response to their questions.

"Introduce me to your hard won career network, and give me a job" is not really how it works Sad
Quote
James,

I would not have been at all sarcastic if the OP had actually asked a decent question, but the ''help me, give me a job'', and Im not going to give any info about myself was very poor. I do feel for people trying to get into ROV but his post was woefully inadequate showing his lack of any research. I hope roverman reads all the posts and then sits and goes into the forum. The wealth of info is there....
"Keep it in view or it'll look wanky on the video!!"
Quote
Des_b wrote:
James,

I would not have been at all sarcastic if the OP had actually asked a decent question, but the ''help me, give me a job'', and Im not going to give any info about myself was very poor. I do feel for people trying to get into ROV but his post was woefully inadequate showing his lack of any research. I hope roverman reads all the posts and then sits and goes into the forum. The wealth of info is there....


Des,

I agree with your sentiment.
Quote
Roverman, try PROFFS or UKPS mid season.
Quote
bt wrote:
Roverman, try PROFFS or UKPS mid season.


Unless the OP has the required tech skills .....No chance of any luck with that.
Quote
unfortunately I don't have any engineering experience at all, neither engineering qualifications

I 've done alot of research and I 've contacted almost every company, without any luck

I know I should have some experience, but I hoped I could gain it inside the industry, instead of receiving training eg. in a factory and then search for a ROV position
Quote
roverman wrote:
unfortunately I don't have any engineering experience at all, neither engineering qualifications

I 've done alot of research and I 've contacted almost every company, without any luck

I know I should have some experience, but I hoped I could gain it inside the industry, instead of receiving training eg. in a factory and then search for a ROV position


At least you came back and responded. That's a bonus.

The basic facts are you need experience in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical/Hydraulic. You need to be a bit IT savvy also. If do not have ant technical experience that would explain why none of the companies you applied to came back to you.

If you are dead keen to get into ROV's then you'll need to train and gain experience in the above before applying. It is unlikely any company will take you on and train you on the job if you have no technical experience in the first place.

The upshot is ROV is a technical trade. You need to be useful to the team from day one. You can't just rock up to the worksite and pick the job up as you go.
James Mc
Site Admin
www.rovworld.com

Shocked Search First - Ask questions later Thumb Up
Quote
jamesmc wrote:
You need to be useful to the team from day one. You can't just rock up to the worksite and pick the job up as you go.


You'd be surprised.

At the company I'm with at the moment, there are 2 lads with zilch technical background. Who you know will still get you in.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro! (I came, I saw, I stuck around!)
Quote
If that's so what happens when the company finds out that the agency/ company member has no technical qualifications ?
Quote
sedco wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
You need to be useful to the team from day one. You can't just rock up to the worksite and pick the job up as you go.


You'd be surprised.

At the company I'm with at the moment, there are 2 lads with zilch technical background. Who you know will still get you in.


can you pm the company name please?
Quote
sedco wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
You need to be useful to the team from day one. You can't just rock up to the worksite and pick the job up as you go.


You'd be surprised.

At the company I'm with at the moment, there are 2 lads with zilch technical background. Who you know will still get you in.



"Who you know" is true for any job/industry. I don't remember the statistic, but I read something once that said a vast majority of new hires, in general, had some kind of inside connection to getting the job. Like 80% or something. I'm sure it varies for different industries, but I do believe the premise (it was on the internet, it must be true).

For those of us that DO have relevant technical backgrounds, and have maybe been knocking on doors for months, are there any recommendations for networking with folks in the industry that might be helpful? Aside from joining this site and asking for blind recommendations, of course Wink

Display posts from previous:

Goto page 1, 2  Next





View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum