ROVworld Subsea Information

Powerful and Silent Subsea Thrusters
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Hi everybody,

Been in the industry a couple of years and was told about this site a few days ago. I hope I'm not about to repeat a subject already covered. If I do, please let me know.

As I said, I've only been in the industry a couple of years. From what I have been told I got in at the right time. But I am seeing something that worries me a lot. A high intake of trainees from countries whose workers are willing to take a lot less pay. I'm trying to be politicl correct here. We saw this in our maritime industry in the North Sea a few years ago, now most vessel crew are from ex-eastern block countries and are being paid considerably less than the previous generation of seamen. The old, and not so old, seaman are sitting on the beach collecting unemployment benefits. Is this happening now in the ROV industry? And can it/should it be stopped?

Definitely Worried.
I would say ( and NOT being politically correct )
No Very Happy
It appears that there are only a small amount of "Foreigners" That have the inteligence to do what we do and speak the Industry language - English Shocked
And considering what "English speaking Turnips" we have had in the industry for the last twenty years anyway who still cannot grasp the fundementals of ROV piloting skills Shocked I do not think it will make an indentation in the market Laughing
Put ya brain in gear before ye open thy gob !
RMT Wink Wink
"Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!"
FOYC Laughing
make hay whilst the sun shines....
Days end the clients will not put up with a sacrifice in productivity and down time due to incompetence from contractors.

Eg.Have seen a number of Angolian trainees on this job but the grown ups will not entertain on as a 3rd man......4th as a gopher is the status they appear to be occupying.

There where always be the cost effectivness of cheap bodies in 3rd world countries but thing are jobs are safe lads.
Wait till the Yellow Peril gets in .... then we're gonners Wink

( From a formerly cheap go-fer fed peanuts in a zoo )
That's no way to speak about your countrymen Very Happy
Theres a rumour going around Technip that they are taking on 4 indian trainee ROV pilot/techs. Not a PC person myself so not sure if the rumour refers to the sub continent indian or the 'red' variety.

piedpiper
Probably the red type but kept on a reserve list Very Happy
Hi all

I'm a trainee and I wouldn't work for a dozen of peanuts a day Mad i prefer to see somewhere else and keep my pride!!
Good luck Very Happy
I would like to say not to be greedy but a decent day rate.
I have heard that S Club 7 are looking to recruit 40 Polish trainees. They will speak English and be competent tradesmen.
If they are paid the same rates as us then fine. If not then beware!.
Agree with you man!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View next topic
View previous topic