ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Just had my first offshore medical yesterday walked away with my cert no problem, one question should i have kept the audiogram of my hearing test?
In my experience, sometimes you get a copy of the tests, sometimes you don't. All you really need though is the certificate that says you have passed the medical, you won't be asked for the audio test results by anyone.
Thanks Ray
Sorry to have to contradict you on this Ray but Shell Sarawak want every bit of paper that comes with the medical when approving personnel to work. You may not have to carry it all with you everywhere but keep all the parts safe as it has bitten me quite recently and we had to get some guys re-done.
Blimey, guess I should have kept the piss from my test as well in case they asked for it!
No need Ray. Shell Sarawak would never approve you for work. They look at competency levels as well. Razz
Having had the previous contract before Kreuz subsea took the contract over I have first hand experience with BSP .

I can only say the rules with BSP change per the minute ! As for the hearing test all the CSR wanted to apply for your BSP passport was your standard OGUK medical cert .However even with all the paper work many of the guys were still waiting for the BSP Passports for well over 6 months if not longer .

One month you were told " Sorry your to OLD ! " BSP dont hire people over 55 ! but the following month you were told your ok, Even if all the CSRs on the job were all over 60 , So I dont think BSP is a good example .

I dont even think some doctors even issue you with audio gram cert I seem to remember the only place that gave me a full report with your main medical cert was Bumrangrad in Bangkok .

Read the small print it states :-

This individual has been examined in accordance with Oil & Gas UK Guidelines and is " Medically Fit for Unrestricted Offshore Work .

As for it being a requirement to get work " No " ,The main thing is did you pass your offshore medical " Yes "

Raptor
Brunei Shell Petroleum (BSP) can be a little 'testing' but seriously, Shell Sarawak take the biscuit.
The Singapore clinics also give everything to the person who gets the medical. Probably in response to this kind of thing nowadays.
Oh yes I remember the Singapore clinics well for the BSP medical no body told us they put a camera up your rear !

We never did find out why ? But young and old we all had to have it done to get the BSP Passport .

Raptor
Hi Charlie 72
Apart from requirement of Shell Sarawak,
BP, Statoil or the Royal Oil Company of banana republic ....
I personally keep all my hearing test. So when in the future you will renew you medical, you can compare with past audiograms results . Some offshore installation can be very noisy, and with time affect your hearing system . Is good practice always wear ear muff when in noisy environment
Thankyou for replies, I have worked for the last 20 years with aircraft so my hearing is a bit knackered now anyway, but your right ear protection is very important, its funny my tinnitus starts flaring up as soon as my wife starts talking to me... Wink
My Grandfather was a Gunner and was diagnosed as "deaf to the feminine voice" while in the Army.

He had two daughters and had a great time since from then on he only heard what he wanted to.

View next topic
View previous topic