ROVworld Subsea Information

Register Today for Underwater Intervention 2017
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Hi (First Post)

I'm trying to find out which of the following courses is most applicable to your industry.

I know the HNC in Electrical Engineering is a good one but the Uni's & Colleges closeby (Newcastle, UK) offer also HNC Instrumentation & Control Engineering but also Foundation Degree in Subsea Engineering:

http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/course-information.aspx?courseid=12379

Any advice is of course appreciated.

Cheers

Jonny
If you want to go offshore as an ROV technician, then I'd suggest that you go for the HNC in electronic engineering; I believe it is still the case that it is the minimum requirement (apart from a tradesman's apprenticeship) for most of the aberdeen and north east england operators. I think it can be done in a year whereas the others take 4?

I'd have a look at CTC Marine Projects, MODUS International or Global Industries web-sites - they are right on your doorstep - not sure if they are recruiting at the moment?

If however you want to go for a more engineering role and get into operations design/managing projects offshore, then I'd aim higher in terms of education level; most of the technip guys I've worked with seem to be chartered engineers. I don't recall any of them having the subsea engineering degree though... I think it's a new degree.

Good luck.
Talk in anger and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.

www.savante.co.uk
Underwater Subsea laser scanner
Underwater Subsea laser profiler
Underwater Subsea laser module
Underwater Subsea laser image scaling
Ah right that's really helpful thanks. I did not realise there was a divide in that way between Technician and Ops/Management, I assumed it was a natural progression. (I'm currently a technical team leader with Hewlett-Packard and its more like that here, obviously less technical and no engineering as such, hence looking at education side of ROV to go offshore)

Can I just ask, where does ROV Piloting fit in here?

Cheers

J

View next topic
View previous topic