ROVworld Subsea Information

Advertise on ROVworld.com!
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Don't want it to seem I am hijacking what is obviously an important thread but has there been a safety flash of any sort after this incident? If there is can someone PM it to me.

Its only a suggestion but would it be worth adding a wall aswell as a forum for the posting of safety flashes, I note there is a safety forum with very little on it.

If I have missed something let me know as all joking aside, getting home at the end of the trip in one piece has got to be the most important issue to me.
ronjon wrote:
Don't want it to seem I am hijacking what is obviously an important thread but has there been a safety flash of any sort after this incident? If there is can someone PM it to me.

Its only a suggestion but would it be worth adding a wall aswell as a forum for the posting of safety flashes, I note there is a safety forum with very little on it.

If I have missed something let me know as all joking aside, getting home at the end of the trip in one piece has got to be the most important issue to me.

This happened years ago - about 2002 I think. And yes there was a safety flash at the time.
ronjon wrote:

Good idea about safety flashes. We will run with the safety board/forum only unless there is a pressing need to do otherwise.

If you wish to contribute and add safety flashes, then go for it. It would be of benefit to the community I'm sure. Thumb Up

As you hint at earlier this is a little off topic of this thread therefore, if you wish to discuss this further, please add a thread in the safety section.

In fact to save the hassle I will split this topic off now.....

best regards
James Mc

Last edited by jamesmc on 21:23 Mon 01 Dec 08; edited 1 time in total
James Mc
Site Admin
www.rovworld.com

Shocked Search First - Ask questions later Thumb Up
Should be good to publish the list of IMCA safety flashes here on ROVworld.
It would even be more handy when IMCA publishes that list through RSS than we can have an automatically updated list instead of maintaining it manually.

2008 Seems to be a safe year, only 1 safety flash so far... Confused
Safe year well maybe you never worked on the Saipem 7000

4 Killed and 4 Seriously injured September 2008

While this accident had nothing to do with the ROV's it still happened within yards of the LARS.
You're right, I forgot about that Medgaz accident in September.

Normally it takes a few months before things like this appear in the safety flashes. First all research involved with these accidents have to be finished. The accident described in the SF from January '08 happened at the beginning of September 2007.

There have been some evacuations of platforms in the North Sea this year but I don't think that will result in safety flashes.
Saipem issued a Safety Bulletin based on the S7000 J-Lay Accident last month.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
I think the owners of the geosund published their safety report online too. All terribly sad.
Talk in anger and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.

www.savante.co.uk
Underwater Subsea laser scanner
Underwater Subsea laser profiler
Underwater Subsea laser module
Underwater Subsea laser image scaling
IMCA safety flash 07/08 for the geosund:-((
Not a good one for sure..........
New IMCA Flash, with content relevant to ROV, today.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
Please do not climb inside your winch drum, spray contact cleaner, and try to dry it with a heat gun.

http://www.imca-int.com/documents/core/sel/safetyflash/2009/IMCASF04-09.pdf

Regards,
I5
Quote:
The pilot technician was not fully aware of the flammable nature of aerosol contact cleaner.

Must be an idiot thinking that contact cleaner isn't flammable.
Per definition the content of an aerosol is always flammable unless the labels say anything else.

A good manufacturer mounts the rotating jb on the outside so there's no need to enter the winch drum.
It's all about training and experience, plus common dog!

We will see a lot more of this to come for sure.
James Mc
Site Admin
www.rovworld.com

Shocked Search First - Ask questions later Thumb Up
He was a pilot tech according to teh report so you can almost excuse him as not knowing better i thnk? No..no you cant. However what I cant figure out is there was no supervision , nobody knew he was in there and working on his own inside a drum...wtf? The entire crew need to be sacked unless the tech took it on his own to do it off his own back? But surely somebody must have known he was doing the work? Assuming the sign was up and the isolation done?
I cannot live with loose techs who like to impress with suprises of undiscussed work.
You will not be surprised the number of people who have received electric shocks of things (e.g. guy who got a belt off the ROVHPP terminals inside the TMS junction box "but I had isolated the ROV" - but who still had power running down to the TMS, had never heard of induced voltages then) and then when you ask them "You DID follow all the procedures, lock offs and earthing of conductors, didn't you?

The worst case I ever had was about 9 years ago when during demob of the ROV system, I told a PT (years experience, not a trainee) to disconnect the deck lead to the winch and secure it on to it. I showed him the JB in the shack, the PDU with all the power isolated and locked off etc.

Went away n left him to it, he disconnecrted the cable, coiled it up on the winch and then - for some reason only known to him - decided to open the box below it (marked 440V Main Incomer) and begin to disconnect that cable as well.

He had just started unscrewing it (using an insulated T handled Allan key (luckily for him) when another PT came in, seen what he was doing and screamed at him to stop.

I came in and asked him why he was disconnecting the main incomer with the lights still on in the shack OBVIOUSLY indicating power was still on "Oh, I just thought I'd disconnect this cable as well"...

Really pissed ME off because it would have been MY fault as Supervisor because he was an obvious idiot.

You just cannot teach common sense and companys fail to check for it.

(PS I believe the inside drum accident happened in the base in Singapore, not offshore)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View next topic
View previous topic