ROVworld Subsea Information

Advertise on ROVworld.com!
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Hi all,
Can anyone suggest a suitable college for an electronics distance learning course that will let you gain a meaningful qualification at the end of it?
I have recently done an electronics course and want to continue learning but work commitments will prevent night school, etc.
I've Googled it but can't find anything suitable.
Cheers.
Firstly - which country!! Remember this is a global forum.

Assuming UK, which part of the UK? Try your local college for distance learning, you are looking at anything that gives you an SVQ or NVQ or City & Guilds for it to be recognised.

Try Aberdeen College, I did a good SVQ in Hydraulics through them a few years back.
Thanks for the reply Ray.
I'm UK based in South West but not found anything locally. It was an SVQ course that I had already completed in electronics and was looking perhaps towards ONC in same subject. But whatever the qualification I wanted to keep learning.
But I will definitely be looking at hydraulics at Aberdeen too.
Cheers,
Do a Google search with "distance learning" and the name of some local colleges or Unis and see what comes up.

Also have a look at http://www.colu.co.uk/. They supply the course, the local college/uni does the tutoring and assessments. I think it was them I used for my HNC many years ago.
Thanks again Ray,
Yes I've Googled local colleges etc for info and found nothing so far. But I think I may have found what I need at Colu.co.uk. It's certainly the most promising lead so far. Excellent, many thanks.
Very Happy
As mentioned before, COLU is the thing. I'm doing a HNC in Electrical engineering on a distance learning. Live in Thailand by the way. Very good support, and good subjects.

Cheers

EB
Has anybody taken this course? http://www.etcourse.com/

I'm located in Iraq so I need a course that will be 100% online / home study. If anyone has any other recommendations that I can work on without needing to test in person please post them.
After doing alot of research before I started mine HNC in Electrical engineering education online, I ended up with COLU university as mentioned before. I does not matter where you live, the units are emailed to you and there is no exam. Each unit are approved by a set up assignments your tutor send you.

The course you mention seems good too, but I could not find that it was HNC approved. The HNC seems to be a good standard around the globe.

Cheers
Thanks. For some reason I was under the impression you needed to show up for testing.
Hi guys

I am looking to start out what is the best path for me to take as it must be home study?
Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”
tiny9095 wrote:
Hi guys

I am looking to start out what is the best path for me to take as it must be home study?

In which country?

If UK, it most be a nationally recognised course such as SVQ, NVQs, HNC, City & Guilds etc. otherwise you will waste your time.

See the above information, check out your local college for distance learning courses, find out what courses COLU (Cleveland Open Learning Unit) do.
Many people ask the same question here.... "Where are you from?".

Hehe, it does not really matter as long as you can read and write English. Most of the universities are in the UK, but you can register and receive your study units through email.

I myself study a HNC degree in Electronics through COLU and I currently live in Thailand. You just have to register on the university and you will be given a tutor that will send you the units you need to study. After you finish a unit, you will have to do TMA's (Tutor Marked Assignments) and send to your tutor. They will mark it and let you know the result. There is no official exam. On some tests you will also have to prove that the work is yours through phone interviews or web cam sessions. Once you have finished the core units and the option units and have reached 12 grade points you will obtain the HNC diploma. (Without setting one single foot inside the university campus)

Another university that offers HNC distance learning is Logis Tech in the UK. Both have HNC in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical engineering.

To enter a HNC program, the university have to evalute your previous studies and see if you qualify. If you do not qualify, you will have to attend a bridging module in Math. (Distance learning off course). This module took me about one month to finish. After this module is marked and passed you are approved to start the real HNC of your choice.

Check out http://www.colu.co.uk/ or http://www.logis-tech.co.uk/ for more information

Cheers

ND
Norwegian_Dude wrote:

Hehe, it does not really matter as long as you can read and write English. Most of the universities are in the UK, but you can register and receive your study units through email.

To enter a HNC program, the university have to evalute your previous studies and see if you qualify. If you do not qualify, you will have to attend a bridging module in Math. (Distance learning off course). This module took me about one month to finish. After this module is marked and passed you are approved to start the real HNC of your choice.

It still matters which country to know what qualifications your country recognises. Would an HNC from the UK count as a qualification if you were an American applying for a job in America? No idea

And as its the UK you are talking about its Maths (Mathematics). Not our fault the Yanks cannot say it properly Smile
rayshields wrote:
Norwegian_Dude wrote:

It still matters which country to know what qualifications your country recognises. Would an HNC from the UK count as a qualification if you were an American applying for a job in America? No idea

And as its the UK you are talking about its Maths (Mathematics). Not our fault the Yanks cannot say it properly Smile

It's water (wah-ter) not Whoa-tah (UK) .... Ray you can be...... sometimes.
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Not to get too far off the topic... but it is related if you've got a buzzed brain like mine.... My daughter came back from Sidders after finishing (public) high school and if you're familiar with the NSW edu system there, it's a bit of a quandary.... Pass / fail only!!!
I got your economic downturn right here!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View next topic
View previous topic