ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Your should be aware that from the 6 April 2008 HMRC will now treat the day of departure as being a day in the UK as well as the day of arrival.

This will affect ongoing tax calculations for Seafarers making claims under NOT Resident/Not Ordinarily Resident Rules.
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
Thanks for the update Steve.

I'm sure this will be a useful heads up for many of our UK based Forum members.

best regards
James Mc
James Mc
Site Admin
www.rovworld.com

Shocked Search First - Ask questions later Thumb Up
Will this affect people claiming the Seafarers Foreign Earnings Deduction?
look i'm not paranoid - I know they're out to get me!!! Shocked

Here is my winter of discontent !
Talk in anger and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.

www.savante.co.uk
Underwater Subsea laser scanner
Underwater Subsea laser profiler
Underwater Subsea laser module
Underwater Subsea laser image scaling
Yes, this will effect those claiming Seafarers F.E.D...
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
If you're on a month on/month off, basically it means you've got to put in at least a 6-7 weeker on at least one trip to get your FED (make up for the lost 14 days that no longer count+2 to make up on the two days travel on your extended trip).

Oh and in addition, be outwith 12 miles, have a foreign port......

Is this correct steve? Nigh on impossible to get IMO unless you're employed, on a regular rotation, overseas, have a good back-to-back - is this the impossible dream that Reese talks about??? Laughing beginning to sound a lot better to me to stay overseas.

So in simple terms your 183 now bumps up to 199 days at sea?(or what we would normally consider days at sea!)
Talk in anger and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.

www.savante.co.uk
Underwater Subsea laser scanner
Underwater Subsea laser profiler
Underwater Subsea laser module
Underwater Subsea laser image scaling
It does look like that under the scenario you are suggesting Sad ......isn't it always better overseas ?....that's where the possible dreams are aren't they...and the one's you'd rather no-one else knew about Wink
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
Thanks Steve

I was in touch with SK Tax yesterday about this, they don't know of any impending changes to the Seafarers FED, but did say that it has always been the case for NOR Claimees.

Is there a web link you could provide so we can see these rule changes first hand?

Last edited by low_ir on 15:02 Fri 07 Dec 07; edited 1 time in total
"Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!"
Im afraid I don't have a link. This came from a Revenue inspector with whom I was engaged in a tussle on behalf of a client. I expect to have correspondence on it soon. If I can find something 'official' I will post it.
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
YourTaxOffice wrote:
Your should be aware that from the 6 April 2008 HMRC will now treat the day of departure as being a day in the UK as well as the day of arrival.

This will affect ongoing tax calculations for Seafarers making claims under NOT Resident/Not Ordinarily Resident Rules.

i've just contacted cardiff 1 & they tell me this is incorrect.
rules are as before.
rules affecting residency status have changed though which i assume is where the confusion has come in.
This was a direct quote from HMRC at the time of writing.

They have refined this to say that if your are not out of the UKCS at midnight then the day will be classed as in the UK.
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
YourTaxOffice wrote:
This was a direct quote from HMRC at the time of writing.

They have refined this to say that if your are not out of the UKCS at midnight then the day will be classed as in the UK.

So - no change then. As at present, if you are outside the 12 mile limit at midnight it is a day out of the UK.

However, as you previously said on another thread - if your vessel does not leave the UK sector during that trip and returns to a UK port, NONE of these days can count towards your claim as you have never left the UK or visited a foreign port?
That's correct...
Kind Regards
Steve White

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944
as i said before, theres no change.

View next topic
View previous topic