ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
I just heard from a friend that works for one of the big American Rov companies and he said that his company uses MTCS certificates to provide proof of competency to their clients. That in itself is pretty bad, just because I think we all know that MTCS doesnt actually do anything for the certs that they provide, so it''s a pretty poor way to provide competency.

Anyway, that''s not the worst of it. He told me that the Rov personnel dont even see the assessments, the company secretary completes all the documents, pays the fee and all done, certs arrive! I guess all of that is a bargain at 350 pounds!
Sorry but as I have said many time MTCS is just a training school and nothing more . As you know your self after speaking to Nick Hough at IMCA in his own words it states .

IMCA sets no mandate, doctrine or requirement in this respect – there is no IMCA requirement saying that certificates of (ROV) competence must be renewed every three years.
IMCA makes makes no endorsement or comment on the policy of any given supplier of training services regarding the expiry of validity of their course certification.
That said, this is something that is of interest to the IMCA ROV management committee and the IMCA Competence and Training Committee, and with your agreement, I will pass on the fact of this query – no names, of course – to them for info.

Best wishes

Nick Hough
Technical Adviser

IMCA - International Marine Contractors Association

IMCA is the Association that puts forward all of the recommendations and not some training school , Unless I see something in writing from IMCA then its just pie in the sky !
like I said in the last chat we had how on earth can a training school do a competence assessment on someone they have never met ? If Competence assessment are required then it should be done in house like it has been done in the past .

Sorry but unless you can provided me and the other members of this forum showing this is mandatory requirement from IMCA then I am sorry it means nothing .

Requirements for some jobs are set by clients this I fully understand since some have a visit from a MTCS agent convincing them to take part but its not mandatory requirement to contact MTCS and get a Competence assessment done for £300 every 3 years . Should any future client ask for proof of competence get a letter from your past employer its FREE and wont cost you a penny .Over the years I must have done hundreds for people who have worked under me .

Over the years I think we have seen many get rich quick schemes and this is one of them .
Raptor,

I appreciate your reply, but my messages aren''t questions to you, so I''m not sure why you repeat what I say. I am just posting to the forum like everyone else.
Sorry Bazinga I appreciate what your saying but unless its a mandatory requirement from IMCA then its not relevant . MTCS can do and say what they want but unless its supported by IMCA its not relevant .

I am replying to you to let people know if they dont know already that if they do require Competence assessment it can be done from your past or current employer the last thing I want is people reading your post and thinking they need to contact MTCS and pay £300 to be assessed .
ok Raptor,

No problem, hopefully we can raise awareness and guys know that they dont need to use MTCS.

Thanks
Bazinga
how does that work, how can they be assessed if their company just fills out all the forms for them.
How can that assessment company actually condone that.
Its just a take the money and you lot are ok.
Before the new changes that came in last year you just had to get a witness statement and pay 85 bucks, i can see a company doing that but
now its the whole exam assessment thing evidence forms and 350.
Can that company be doing that now its so much more work.

is there anyone else that does assessments out there ?

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hi Jaso,

In response to your question:

how does that work, how can they be assessed if their company just fills out all the forms for them.

I think that is the whole point, they shouldnt be able to do it. Why agencies and clients give MTCS certifications credit is a mystery.
[quote:36b2420b8b=\"Bazinga\"]Hi Jaso,

In response to your question:

I think that is the whole point, they shouldnt be able to do it. Why agencies and clients give MTCS certifications credit is a mystery.

Sad Sad Sad
i totally agree how is that even legal and that leads to incompetency, i worked a couple of jobs ago where the other shift just could not do their job, i was woken up whilst off shift to fix things. I dont mind helping out at all but for menial tech work, i have to get up and had to do all their paper work to, and we all know how much of that has to be done these days.
It just made my work load twice as hard.
Im not a snitch or tell tale but i casually asked my OIM if the other guys had Certs in a round about way, and sure enough they both had MTSC certs and they were not qualified to do their jobs properly not at the ranks that their Certs said they were anyway.
It seems if you pay they just had them out.
im not happy

View next topic
View previous topic