ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Good day

I am currently marine electrician/ETO working onboard oil and gas vessels. I know the industry is completely down and out atm.

The ROV industry has always intrigued me and it has been my long term goal to work with ROVs

I have 2 years experience as a marine electrician and have a foundation degree in Marine Electrical/electronic engineering.

I was thinking of doing the ROV trainee course around March/April next year.

Do you think the market will start requiring ROV pilots? Would getting the course behind me beneficial in anyway for when the market picks up or do you think the market is already saturated with too many inexperienced ROV pilots?

All of your input will be much appreciated.
CameronSA1 wrote:
Good day

I am currently marine electrician/ETO working onboard oil and gas vessels. I know the industry is completely down and out atm.

The ROV industry has always intrigued me and it has been my long term goal to work with ROVs

I have 2 years experience as a marine electrician and have a foundation degree in Marine Electrical/electronic engineering.

I was thinking of doing the ROV trainee course around March/April next year.

Do you think the market will start requiring ROV pilots? Would getting the course behind me beneficial in anyway for when the market picks up or do you think the market is already saturated with too many inexperienced ROV pilots?

All of your input will be much appreciated.

Hi,
As you know the ROV Industry is pretty much down at this time and if I were YOU I would wait and see what happens in the next 12-18 months. There's no use going out and spending your own money on something which may or may not happen, especially as the Oil market is in such a depressed state.
Hi Alitor

Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated.

That is what I was thinking. The market is sickening right now!

The ROV industry is something I have always been interested in.

Would having an electrical degree be enough though? Or should I look at adding some hydraulic courses to my name whilst I wait?

View next topic
View previous topic