ROVworld Subsea Information

Powerful and Silent Subsea Thrusters
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Interested to know what safeguards are normally used when divers are in the water with a HV ROV.

IMCA D045 specs a maximum 20ms trip delay for RCD/isometer, which is hard to guarantee, and also seems aimed at smaller equipment types/lower voltages.
Svein V
IKM Elektro AS
Norway
As you state most diver support is done with smaller /medium ROVs , Mohicans , panthers , Tigers etc and usually no special precautions other than reasonable separation from diver is made ,,,
We wrap the divers in black neoprene and make them wear really silly underwater shoes...seems to work ok Laughing
I was on the kettle!
Good joke)
Sea water is a good conductor, but what about fresh water operations?
Very mature of you T-Boy. You might think all people buy your idea of jokes but I know you have no clue what to say and the best thing for you is to pass a joke. The discussion is beyond your comprehension.
From my experience with work class HV systems , a LIM system offers no protection to personnel on deck due to the slow reaction time of the system and also the line capacitance of the system has a direct affect on the reaction time.
So for a diver, best to keep well away unless you have found a system better than the Bender .
Yes we use Bender and also Megacon LIMs, but they use the same principle, injecting DC.
A full blown earth fault will trip them very fast but for Bender it can be up to 4s response time for a lesser fault (if I remember).

We also use isolating transformers tho (non-earthed neutral), and cut power supply at the first earth fault.

Very interesting to hear peoples experience in this area.
Svein V
IKM Elektro AS
Norway

View next topic
View previous topic