ROVworld Subsea Information

Advertise on ROVworld.com!
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
My wife and I have bout had it with our current state of being. We are thinking about hopping around and heading up North for a bit and I was curious if any of you Canadian folks could give me an idea of cost of living etc... I know there aren't alot of details here about where, but truth is I don't know. Maybe... somewhere where the beers cold and food good Smile
thanks for the help Gents.
DOG
It depends on where you're from and exactly where you want to live. Canada is a big place...

You'll have a high quality of life in Canada if you can put up with shoveling snow.

Taxes are also higher than most countries and generally well spent. (again compared to most countries..)
yeah I'm trying to find more info on what to expect and where to even look at living.
I heard ya'll like to fish and hunt so I should fit right in.
We live on the south end of Vancouver Island (Sooke). You don't get to shovel much snow here! Check the weather stats.

I reckon the taxes work out cheaper than Europe overall. Hunting fishing etc. is right on our doorstep. General cost of living is reasonable. Crime is really low IMHO. Police tend to leave you alone and are not often seen by law abiding citizens but are out there for sure.

Plenty of restaurants, bars and events...

I wouldn't consider Hong-Couver unless you want to feel you've moved to Hong Kong Wink
were definetly the small town type of people and pretty simple really.
Thanks for the heads up James.
Immigration Canada is very strict these days on allowing people into the country for residency purposes.
If you already have a legal right to live in Canada then there should be no problem.
As British Citizens it took us three years to obtain permanent residency through normal channels. It wasn't simple nor quick by any stretch of the imagination. Checks include verifying vocational and educational documentation and criminal checks.
I've seen (on TV) people (US & other nationalities) turned away for just having a DUI on record.
Some US citizens trying to head to Alaska have been prevented from entering Canada for similar reasons even though they state they only want to transit through Canada by road.

It's not an open door by any means..... so I wouldn't just rock up and hope to settle.
Very Diplomatic ! Very Happy
Put ya brain in gear before ye open thy gob !
lostboy wrote:
Very Diplomatic ! Very Happy

I try Wink
What do you think about trying to get out of the GOM.
How is the best way to do that?
Loads of US companies operating out of the GOM. Google some and apply. I've heard rates aren't as good in the GOM working under US companies but have no direct experience of that.
Yeah I'm with a company in the GOM hence trying to leave it.
The pay sucks...

View next topic
View previous topic