Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 79,205,647
  • Today: 16,965
Server InfoServer Info
  • Dec 20, 2014
  • 12:11 pm GMT

Books & Video's

ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

ROVworld :: View topic - ltd company or sole trader. whats best for seamans deduction
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Message Author
PostPosted: 08:23 Sat 17 Nov 12  

looking to go agency in the next few months and was wondering whats best for a uk resident looking to work in uk waters and abroad for claiming seafarers deduction and tax implications in general.

ltd company or sole trader the better option? any info would be great as im not that clued up with it all!

cheers

weetabix

PostPosted: 00:04 Sun 18 Nov 12  

During my contracts I'm employed through Armada Marine http://www.armadamarine.co.uk/ they only charge me 2% + 5 per day, but seeing as they're based in Guernsey they don't need to pay UK Employers NI, and I get paid Gross.

I then have a normal accountant that prepares my tax return every year.

Bristar

PostPosted: 03:44 Sun 18 Nov 12  

weetabix wrote:
looking to go agency in the next few months and was wondering whats best for a uk resident looking to work in uk waters and abroad for claiming seafarers deduction and tax implications in general.

ltd company or sole trader the better option? any info would be great as im not that clued up with it all!

cheers

My understanding is you must be an employee to be able to claim the Seafarers Foreign Earnings Deduction. So you would have to be an employee of your ltd company to claim it?

rayshields

ROVworld Webteam

PostPosted: 02:53 Fri 01 Mar 13  

In my opinion ltd company will be the best option for you.

GainellDesirae

PostPosted: 20:21 Tue 05 Mar 13  

We provide the same as the Guernsey company but from Hong Kong at a fixed monthly fee and including the SED claim - no percentages !

Your Tax Office Ltd
+44 (0) 1438 940 944 

YourTaxOffice

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PostPosted: 15:44 Mon 27 May 13  

Right,

If you are set up as a LTD Co, you can still claim the S.E.D IF you are on a vessle, is that correct? BUT you cannot claim anything if you are rig/installation based?????

When you set up a LTD Co, even as the owner of the Company you are employed by the Co so that covers one issue mentioned a bit earlier in this post.

The rest I am getting a handle on it, but it is a complete minefield and a lot of the loopholes that have been used in the past are being slammed firmly shut. Personally I blame google and Starbucks, tax avoiding tossers Smile

Be good
Dog

Cabledog

PostPosted: 07:54 Tue 28 May 13  

As a Ltd company, you will still be liable for corporation tax at 20%. The SED is a personal tax issue.

norfolknchance2

PostPosted: 16:24 Tue 28 May 13  

Ahhh, ok. So, if set up as a LTD Co, you take a small salary, and the rest as dividends, which you pay personal tax on, right. Then you claim the SED back on that?

Does anyone leave money in the company account and have to pay the 20% Corp Tax. OR do you reduce that liability by paying into a pension, etc etc?

Or is Sole trader the better way to go.........

Anyway, got a sit down with my accountant tomorrow to sort all this crap out, will keep you updated.

Be good
Dog

Cabledog

View next topic
View previous topic