ROVworld Subsea Information
Unique Newsletter for the whole industry involved in the submarine cable market.

•  Home  •  Downloads  •  Your Account  •  Forums  •

Search ROVworld

Enter Search Term Below

Custom Search
Site Navigation

Site Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,737,708
  • Today: 3,831
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 02, 2014
  • 01:51 am GMT

Books & Video's

ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

ROVworld :: View topic - My next step, please help
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Message Author
PostPosted: 14:42 Sun 27 Jan 13  

Hello Rovworld Twisted Evil

First I would like to start with my background. I've been working as a MWD (measurement while drilling) "engineer" for the past 4 years and am looking to move over to ROV. I work in Canada, on land rigs for a service company and make a really good day rate (950 USD). The reason I put "engineer" is that I got all my training in my position on-site.

I found this website after I had booked a training course at subnet services. After my first search about the school I was heartbroken, honestly. It seems they are not a very good school, and it also seems school might not be the right direction for me at all!

My question is do ROV companies respect/know the directional drilling side of the oilfield and it's tools/equipment? If so would they consider taking on a trainee that has proven himself with high dollar electronics in his past?

I didn't finish uni but have good physics and electronics knowledge as well as a trades degree in welding. Do I have a chance?!?

lukedoyle

PostPosted: 18:17 Sun 27 Jan 13  

As a trainee you will probably make a third of what you are making at the moment. It will take you a good few years to get back up to 600/day.

http://www.rovworld.com/ftopict-6670.html

There are an awful lot of people chasing trainee jobs. I would stick to what you are doing if I were you.

Glevum

PostPosted: 18:36 Sun 27 Jan 13  

Thanks for the quick reply Glevum,

I'm not as concerned about money as I am about my future. My current consulting job is great, but it offers no long term growth aspects other than sitting in the directional drillers seat. I can't say I would really like to do that.

I understand they are a lot of people trying to get into this field, do you think training and my oil field experience would give me enough of an advantage to get a job? I could easily survive off 1/3 my current earnings as long as I was working towards a better wage. I'm only 26 with wife and no kids Smile Smile.

lukedoyle

PostPosted: 23:50 Fri 01 Mar 13  

I have just finished my training with Subnet,and I can say I was very happy with them.Now my job is to apply everyday to as many companies as I can...

mikefmv

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
PostPosted: 04:33 Sat 02 Mar 13  

mikefmv wrote:
I have just finished my training with Subnet,and I can say I was very happy with them.Now my job is to apply everyday to as many companies as I can...

Did they not give you help with finding openings?

J

InnerState

View next topic
View previous topic