ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
scotbeve wrote:
DonF wrote:
ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems - this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Don,

Aircraft experience is really attractive on a new CV or resume... nuff said.

Scot, if you haven't worked on ROVs before then the experience of working on weapons systems, aircraft systems or dive tech is a good basis - if nothing else it teaches you how to use a crimp tool and trace faults and work systematically through the system. These skills are often lacking in trained "pilots".

What's so odd about that? I have met more ex-RAF and ex-Navy in ROV crews than anywhere else. What's your suggestion - more time at Fort William - I think not. cheers
DonF wrote:
scotbeve wrote:
DonF wrote:
ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems - this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Don,

Aircraft experience is really attractive on a new CV or resume... nuff said.

Scot, if you haven't worked on ROVs before then the experience of working on weapons systems, aircraft systems or dive tech is a good basis - if nothing else it teaches you how to use a crimp tool and trace faults and work systematically through the system. These skills are often lacking in trained "pilots".

What's so odd about that? I have met more ex-RAF and ex-Navy in ROV crews than anywhere else. What's your suggestion - more time at Fort William - I think not. cheers

Don,

I wasn't being sarcastic... I really mean that - I'd grab an aircraft tech (any discipline) anyday before a "full blown" uni grad. There's also the self-discipline attained whilst in the military we should add...And I'm not going to delve into ROV schools right now - sore point in my book. I was in avionics BTW
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
I was a car technician for 15 years and before that a infantry soldier and I got a job straight away as a trainee no problem, all I did was my survival and Medical off my own back.

I have met loads of ex forces guys and car techs seem to be the most sort of suitable guys for this sort of role.

Know a few guys who did the training school thing and got bugger all out of it job wise.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View next topic
View previous topic