ROVworld Subsea Information

UI 2017 Trade Show Registration
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Quote
Dreuf wrote:
First of all.. I'm a really newbie.. But I have read the FAQ! Smile

I have read some post's and I can't find anything good about Oceaneering. I recon this is mostly the UK, and maybe the US part of the firm.

Any who have some coments about the Norwegian part of the firm?'


I am working for the norwegian part of Oceaneering, and I am happy! Very Happy It's a good company, and they treat the personel good. The pay is pretty much the same as every other ROV- company in Norway, I think. The reason is that the uni0ns are pretty strong in Norway, and every ROV-company is under the same agreement: Oljeserviceavtalen. In english it means something like: Agreement for service companies.
Of course there are some local differenses in each company.

The equipment is upgraded or changed constantly, and the old Magnum will be changed with the new Magnum Plus as soon as they can ship enough out of Morgan City. Every system use Schilling manipulators (Rigmaster and T3/T4) and pan/tilt units. Every control container have (or will have) a pilot chair. As mentioned in the thread, all the tooling and RCU are designed and produced in Norway, so that bit is covered.

Onshore support works good, with people on watch 24/7. In case of a breakdown, spares will be sent from the beach in a couple of hours.

There is a lot of traning for everyone. Both technical and theoretical courses. In addition to that, all the trainees uses the simulator before going offshore. The simulator can also be used as a "dress-rehersal" before going offshore. A great way to be prepare before a difficult task.

After a two year period we all get in a 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotation. Before that its 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

It may sound like everything is perfect, but of course its not. But in my opinion, the negative stuff are minor issues. I have never wanted to work for another ROV company, that's for sure Cool
Quote
i am glad Norwegian OI is doing so well,
regards

ST A and R removed!


Last edited by star on 22:24 Mon 26 Jan 09; edited 1 time in total
Quote
tobs wrote:
Dreuf wrote:
First of all.. I'm a really newbie.. But I have read the FAQ! Smile

I have read some post's and I can't find anything good about Oceaneering. I recon this is mostly the UK, and maybe the US part of the firm.

Any who have some coments about the Norwegian part of the firm?'


I am working for the norwegian part of Oceaneering, and I am happy! Very Happy It's a good company, and they treat the personel good. The pay is pretty much the same as every other ROV- company in Norway, I think. The reason is that the uni0ns are pretty strong in Norway, and every ROV-company is under the same agreement: Oljeserviceavtalen. In english it means something like: Agreement for service companies.
Of course there are some local differenses in each company.

The equipment is upgraded or changed constantly, and the old Magnum will be changed with the new Magnum Plus as soon as they can ship enough out of Morgan City. Every system use Schilling manipulators (Rigmaster and T3/T4) and pan/tilt units. Every control container have (or will have) a pilot chair. As mentioned in the thread, all the tooling and RCU are designed and produced in Norway, so that bit is covered.

Onshore support works good, with people on watch 24/7. In case of a breakdown, spares will be sent from the beach in a couple of hours.

There is a lot of traning for everyone. Both technical and theoretical courses. In addition to that, all the trainees uses the simulator before going offshore. The simulator can also be used as a "dress-rehersal" before going offshore. A great way to be prepare before a difficult task.

After a two year period we all get in a 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotation. Before that its 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

It may sound like everything is perfect, but of course its not. But in my opinion, the negative stuff are minor issues. I have never wanted to work for another ROV company, that's for sure Cool


Tobs how about you and I swap places for a trip or 2 , I go work in Norway and you can take my place working out of the Dubai office....I'm sure your opinion of OI will change Smile
Quote
Oceaneering is losing so many guys because there is no work for them. I work for Oceaneering and last year 2008 they hired 86 new people for ROV. Now with no work and that many people they are just sitting at home making no money. I have been home for 5 weeks now. and i am looking for another job. They shouldnt have hired that many new people back to back.
Quote
hes prolly leaving for the same reason i am. no work. they hired so many new people last year almost 100 and theres more than 80 people sitting at home waiting for work that have been at home for 6 weeks with no work. just getting behind on bills and losing houses and cars. and oceaneering doesnt want to do s*** about it. 15 cause im out also.
Quote
Dreuf wrote:

Tobs how about you and I swap places for a trip or 2 , I go work in Norway and you can take my place working out of the Dubai office....I'm sure your opinion of OI will change Smile


Nah, don't think so Very Happy
But since you're here, what's the pay like and how's is the work schedule in Dubai? Cool
Quote
hmmm jayfactory, interesting words from you - i was in a very similar situation - but last year already it happened to me - having been with Oceaneering for 3 & half years, i sat @ home from the first week of July and waited and waited - finally i was promised an upman on the 1st of October. for very obvious reasons i have since resigned.
Wink
Quote
No work ,yeah right ,more like no effing company man wants junior techs on there system ,rule is 6 peeps only 1 green hat aloud and even thats changing as with credit crunch they can pick and choose who theyget now ,i have been in the same situation as all of you 2 and half years ago ,but i stayed in abz and worked in the base till they could place me ,worked out perfect for me salary and day rate and i could sleep in my own bed every night ,get on the phone and tell them you want base work ,and as for no work there throwing a system out of moron city 1 a week just now ,last time i was in the base there were subs every were to be upgraded or built ,dont hang on for north sea job as that wont happen ,but Angola land ,Brazil,Ghana are busy just now ,you have to realize you are getting a salary for sitting in the house doing all, i know its not ideal but thats what happens if you can stick with it if you cant tell them to shove there job and try some of the other Rov company but i bet you what little shampo i have left that it will be the same ,times have changed no one wants junior anything offshore

ok roger doger over and out
Quote
I've been at OI (GoM)for a lifetime. I am an american, signed on OI and been there ever since. When i started, it was quaint, everybody knew each other, you had a few knuckleheads, but they were the comedy relief. Then OI got too big for it's britches. They use scare tactics to keep their employees in check. "We've got ALL the work." blah, blah...
Many of my co-horts and i agree, they wave the proverbial carrot in front of our faces, just out of reach. To be "something" here you have to get in the clique and suck on the purple pope, and maybe, master will throw a few scraps. I'm in the upper echelon, (yeah, i've taken a few to the face) and i'm making $29/ hr. I think that's about $435/ day if you do the math. Yet i feel completely snubbed and i can name 20 less deserving c*@ts that are superintendents. These are the ones driving so many people away. They came up the ranks, slogged the ops manager -Bayou boys - and now they're leading us down the toilet. Can't fly, can't fix, can't lead a team - and OI REWARDS this. THE PROBLEM is in management in the office. The only one i have any respect for is the senior ops mngr. The others are a waste of carbon.
If you're a nube, come here, (they'll hire you), work for two years and get your experience, then GO ELSEWHERE, for your $$$. All the guys that quit are going to the start up companies that are throwing what seems like alot of money to them. CI, Onyx, Phoenix, Sonsub, Canyon. Techs start at $14.50/ hr. They promise you when you hire on that after 6 months you'll get $16.50/hr. - Nope
You have to fight for every penny you get here. Expect a pay raise once every three years. @+$1.00/hr... If you're known inside the cardboard cages. If they don't know you by face/name forget it. Most techs after 2-3 years are getting $16 - $18/ hr (AND THAT'S GOOD). I don't know many people making more than $30/ hr
Quote
Actually, i'm on my way out. I've only recently come across this website and i've been sitting home for 5 weeks now.
Why i've stayed so long? - too scared to leave. Don't know what's out there. Now i don't have much choice...
Quote
Deep,

Yeah, good question there.... it makes one wonder..... I mean this site (albeit, the old one) was first out in 03'.
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Quote
Just to introduce myself into your conversation I used to be the Oceaneering Recruiter. I dont think they are hired 200 this year. That's funny.
Quote
If interested call 985-612-3365. Ask for Casey
Quote
C-Innovation info
Quote
Silent_Angel wrote:
I've been at OI (GoM)for a lifetime. I am an american, signed on OI and been there ever since. When i started, it was quaint, everybody knew each other, you had a few knuckleheads, but they were the comedy relief. Then OI got too big for it's britches. They use scare tactics to keep their employees in check. "We've got ALL the work." blah, blah...
Many of my co-horts and i agree, they wave the proverbial carrot in front of our faces, just out of reach. To be "something" here you have to get in the clique and suck on the purple pope, and maybe, master will throw a few scraps. I'm in the upper echelon, (yeah, i've taken a few to the face) and i'm making $29/ hr. I think that's about $435/ day if you do the math. Yet i feel completely snubbed and i can name 20 less deserving c*@ts that are superintendents. These are the ones driving so many people away. They came up the ranks, slogged the ops manager -Bayou boys - and now they're leading us down the toilet. Can't fly, can't fix, can't lead a team - and OI REWARDS this. THE PROBLEM is in management in the office. The only one i have any respect for is the senior ops mngr. The others are a waste of carbon.
If you're a nube, come here, (they'll hire you), work for two years and get your experience, then GO ELSEWHERE, for your $$$. All the guys that quit are going to the start up companies that are throwing what seems like alot of money to them. CI, Onyx, Phoenix, Sonsub, Canyon. Techs start at $14.50/ hr. They promise you when you hire on that after 6 months you'll get $16.50/hr. - Nope
You have to fight for every penny you get here. Expect a pay raise once every three years. @+$1.00/hr... If you're known inside the cardboard cages. If they don't know you by face/name forget it. Most techs after 2-3 years are getting $16 - $18/ hr (AND THAT'S GOOD). I don't know many people making more than $30/ hr




Question Question Question I'm an American living oveseas and I haven't seen those wages in the industry since circa 1980... Oh wait a minute.... the rates haven't gone up since then.....

See rates page for a start, get your jaw off the floor, then start ( I mean, really start) to get a grasp on reality. Oh... BTW - do not, I repeat DO NOT leave the GOM.
I got your economic downturn right here!!!

Display posts from previous:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next





View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum