ROVworld Subsea Information

Register Today for Underwater Intervention 2017
ROVworld Subsea Information: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Quote
I'll tell you what, Subsea 7 must be paying their Supervisors and Sub Engs a fortune to not only turn a blind eye to the fact that UK lads are being replaced in the North Sea by £50/day Filipinos but also to train up those Filipinos. I guess they have calculated the extra money they make now will more than compensate them when the very lads they trained up put them out of work a few years down the road.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro! (I came, I saw, I stuck around!)
Quote
No 225 I work in BRASIL where the said filipino ABs have just been booted off to be replaced by locals.
Something to do with labour laws out there???????
But they are relatively happy as they are going to a vessel with a long term contract in NORWAY and they said they get much better money there as they are working in Norwegian waters....
So maybe there is some truth or perhaps they are lying???
Quote
OK 225 point taken on the Noggy payrates.
Perhaps it would have been better to say an improved rate?
You are correct on the Brasil contract.
A long term contract means 50% local.
I am free to work there after I have all the correct paperwork.
Not just arrive and start working straight away.
I know the Brasilians on the deep blue don't get paid a lesser rate than anyone else so if there is brasilians getting less its up to them.
The whole point is the fact there is companies actively putting UK people out of a job to replace them with cheap imported labour?
And you have obviously never been to my office to sort out visa applications.)
Quote
mind-when-this-was-fields wrote:
No 225 I work in BRASIL where the said filipino ABs have just been booted off to be replaced by locals.
Something to do with labour laws out there???????
But they are relatively happy as they are going to a vessel with a long term contract in NORWAY and they said they get much better money there as they are working in Norwegian waters....
So maybe there is some truth or perhaps they are lying???


Mind,


and to o' those of whom are in the know (re: been in the game long enough)... I've been trying to pull tree stumps out of the ground without the proper tools... Cryptic???? I think not..... Folks, I've only got a limited time left in this soon - to - be - farqked... (better) FUBARBED industry (or is it going to be in dust - try (to get yur ars_es off the floor)). You can listen to your own "awright Jack" heart / I'm gonna git anutter loan from da bank - farque ya' awl OR organize yur young virgin arsess and git yursef tageter!!! Excuse the spelling errors as I'm trying to get through to those whom haven't a clue to English but "text" english.... I feel sorry for ya' caruunts...... Awrite Jack???? Question Question Question Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Quote
heard you the first time Very Happy
Quote
mind-when-this-was-fields wrote:
heard you the first time Very Happy


Sorry, internet screwed and computer froze... or vice - a - versa...
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Quote
225 wrote:
I did enjoy the description of the Brazillian visa process though, made it sound like 12 hours at the coal face. I know a few forms is hard work, but I'm sure the office girls did a fair bit of leg work. The point is not the process but the fact you are free to work there, as are my Brazillian friends who work the North Sea (and not on great wages either)


I enjoyed the description of the Brazilian visa process too. No matter who fills the paperwork in, it clearly highlighted the type of process in place to enable non Brazilian Nationals to freely work offshore.
For a foreigner to work in the Philippines a work permit is also required.
For West Africa a permit is required.
Same for the USA.
So why not a similar process for the UK/EU?

It stands to reason that your Brazilian friends aren't on great wages. That's no doubt why they are being used! It's not a level playing field as they do not have to live in this part of the world on those wages either.

225 wrote:

I would imagine they have to increase the local Brazilian labour content due to the length of contract. The longer the contract the more percentage of local labour is required.


Yeah right.... What a terrible thing to be doing. Whomever it was in Brazil that dreamt that little number up probably has a lot of Brazilian mates by now.
After all, they are giving Brazilians priority in their own economic area. It'll never catch on for UK citizens in the North sea surely!
Quote
I'm not sure why you say people can just "walk" into the UK. Filipinos require a work permit to come here unless they are "a seaman under contract to join a ship due to leave British waters".

Remembering that British waters now extend all the way out to the border with other countries waters, not just outside 12 miles. Therefore unless they are coming to join a ship which is then sailing to work outside of the UK, the DO require visas.

They have to have a biometric passport and supply fingerprint scans. There is an 11 page form to fill in for the employment visa. They have to supply certificates and family details etc.
Quote
Ray

I have to agree with 225.

You may need to read up a little on this. Some of the posts I have added in the past are reasonably clear and accurate on the subject:



In summary
British waters only extend out to the agreed international 12 mile limit
No work permit is needed for foreigners working in the UK sector of the North Sea offshore oil and gas industry outside the 12 mile limit (i.e. The UK continental shelf).
A foreigner when entering the UK can state their intention to work offshore in the oil and gas industry. UK immigration will allow them into the country as long as they are eligible to enter the country under the usual UK visitor visa rules, but not issue them a permit to work in the UK.
What they do outside the 12 mile limit (work wise - UKCS included) is of of no legal concern to UK immigration.


Here is a bit of recent legal interpretation by a UK lawyer:
Quote:
Work Permits are not required for those working on Offshore Installations on the UK continental shelf. Nor do they appear to be necessary for those working on vessels operating from UK ports servicing North Sea installations.

There are also certain exceptions to the requirement for work permits for those working on ships under construction or repair.


Also the definition of “crew member” can be relatively wide. In terms of section 33(1) of the Immigration Act 1971 crew is defined as “all persons actually employed in the working or service of a ship”. In practical terms this depends very much on what type of ship one is talking about. For example a cruise liner will include waiters, hairdressers etc. Therefore is it possible that a diving vessel could legitimately include ROV operators as crew members.
Quote
The Merchant Shipping Act 1988 defines “British waters” means waters within the seaward limits of the territorial sea adjacent to the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Of course different government departments seem to define it differently which doesn't help.
Quote
The other day I came across a vacancy for a major oil producer in Kuwait. They were looking for 4 experts in a certain field.
The vacancy was offered for Philipino nationals only, as stated by the Philipino agency.

A good friend of mine holds that qualification, so I send him the website. His reaction was quite clear:

Topdawg,
How are you my dear friend? Still doing the subsea routine?
Yes, I have seen the vacancy on the net. Another Filipino website also posted this vacancy. I know which oil operator is asking for these people, as I have been approached by them earlier this year to join them for a year to train newbie’s in the industry. I refused, because sharing my knowledge with Indian or Filipino workers would mean burning down you own house, I am sure you understand what I mean.
I have contacted the website for more details, but no reply whatsoever, though they revised their advertisement by adding that only Filipino workers will be able to apply.
I think this is very funny, because in the description of the position they ask for qualifications of which I am 1000% sure there is not one Filipino in the world, who has that one. Actually there are only 17 people who have this ‘level III’ qualification and I know the other 16 very well, but at the end they will find their 4 ‘specialists’ in the Philippines and (as always) they will [banned word] up and then they call the real experts. For me this practice leaves me with a lot of trouble shoot work = more money to be earned for me.

I have visited the website you gave me (TD: rovworld.com) and saw the struggle of the ROV people against the cheap labor from SE Asia. I think you should join that union, but not sure if non-Brits can join at least the North Sea will be given back to the Europeans.
This is happening worldwide throughout the oil and gas branch. Don’t think it is just the ROV branch, my friend. More and more companies have discovered that they can save money by hiring people for lesser developed areas of this planet. The Filipino’s and Indians have been around for many years already and to me they are the p******** of the (freelance) industry. They only take your knowledge, but never share the knowledge. Then of course they offer (your) knowledge against 1/3rd of the price (or lower) because they have to compete with likeminded people in their own countries. They do not care about the rest of the world. Me, me, me! Ever been trained by an Indian or Filipino? Makes you wonder or not?
I don’t say there aren’t any good ones out there for your part of the business, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of nono’s out there, who are getting the jobs, just because they come from cheaper areas.

In the coming years you will seen an increase in accidents and fatalities throughout the oil and gas industry due to this practice.
Anyway, if you decide to post, please remove anything, which could be classified as inappropriate Very Happy
Good luck and stay safe,
Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do
Quote
Quote:
What they do outside the 12 mile limit (work wise - UKCS included) is of of no legal concern to UK immigration.

I am wondering if the UK immigration cares for offshore work. For example when an offshore vessel, coming from let's say the Norwegian Sea with mainly Filipino crew, has to work in UK waters for appr. 1 week and the work location is 10 NM from the shore than I don't expect that they first have to sail to Aberdeen for a crew change.
This might change when they have to visit Aberdeen multiple times for bunkering.

In 2000 I was working in Canada and remember that most of the Filipino's were replaced by locals but not the Filipino ROV pilots.

In 1999 I started training Filipino ROV pilots for my former employer on the North Sea. They were replacing the British pilots. The Filipino ROV pilots were a little cheaper but were also better educated. Most of them had done an electronics or electrical course on an university. Most of these guys are working for Fugro in Singapore now.
At the end I paid my price because I lost my job or actually I quit my job.
Recently I was asked to give ROV trainings in Manila, Middle East (Unique Group) etc. but decided to go my own way and haven't seen an ROV in 2 years now.

The only thing I never liked about Filipinos were a the karaoke parties...
Quote
Top dawg,

Let me get this straight.... you joined ROV World in Jan. 2009.... What was yur handle before? (If you don't mind me asking...) - I mean, I joined in 2003 and I don't call mesef Topdawg..... As for parting with knowledge, I'm extremely selective now...
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Quote
225 wrote:
I joined in 2003... Pathetic and sad reply

I wouldn't worry about parting with your knowledge too much



Did you first learn of yur new handle in the museum in yer lerverly country or did you have hands on (son)? BTW - the website started that year.....
I got your economic downturn right here!!!
Quote
@Scotbeve:
I don't really see what my handle and membership length to this website has to do with the topic, but ok... I will answer your question.

*No member before 2009, so no other handle.

Any particular reason for asking?

TD
Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do

Display posts from previous:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next





View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum