ROVworld Subsea Information

Deep Trekker Micro ROV Remotely Operated Vehicle
ROVworld Subsea Information FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Category: Main -> Offshore Survival Courses

•  Offshore Survival Course (BOSIET) For the Oil & Gas Industry
•  Offshore Medical (OGUK - Formerly UKOOA) - Whats required?

•  Offshore Survival Course (BOSIET) For the Oil & Gas Industry

This information was correct at the time of posting.  Please check in the Forum for any recent changes.

Just about every operator worldwide insists that everyone travelling to one of their offshore assets (production platform, drill rig, FPSO etc) must complete an offshore survival course before being allowed to travel. This applies to employees and visitors alike, independent of the length of the visit, whether it be for a 2 week rotation or one afternoon's survey.

Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training
Duration 3 days.

For UK waters this survival course is officially known as a BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) course, though it is often referred to as an RGIT course in deference to the one time market leader in providing such courses. The BOSIET includes Safety, Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, First Aid and Hypothermia, Helicopter Safety and Escape, and Survival at Sea.
BOSIET courses vary in length between providers - usually 2½ to 3 days, and with the advent of e-learning some providers allow the theory parts to be completed via the internet. The cost of a basic course is around £600, plus any accommodation costs. Courses are very popular and there can be a waiting list of a couple of weeks - though gone are the days of a single provider for the UK. The "Offshore Survival Certificate" as the BOSIET is also commonly known, is only valid for 4 years, and a refresher (usually lasting a day) must be done before your old certificate expires otherwise the whole 3 day course must be repeated. There are no exceptions to this rule.
There are "extras" that you can request, and pay for, when doing your survival, e.g. a little extra helicopter escape training bolted on to the BOSIET counts as "Additional Safety Training" for the Norwegian sector.

Offshore Abroad

Different countries across the world have differing requirements, some more stringent than the UK requirements described above, whereas others are frighteningly inadequate. For example a BOSIET course is not sufficient for working in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea. The Norwegian Oil Industry Association (OLF) course, is a 5 day affair and a lot more demanding than that required in the UK. Most offshore training companies in the UK run courses allowing you to work in other sectors. These are often run as additions to the BOSIET course.
Many countries do not have their own standard courses and reputable operators default to either the UK or Norwegian courses for workers on their offshore installations.
Not all offshore work is in cold waters (i.e. less than 15°C) therefore a tropical BOSIET (TBOSIET) has been developed where the specific dangers of tropical seas are addressed.
Many companies put employees through courses after they start work, but some people take a course before looking for work in the industry - hoping this will give them an advantage when looking for work. Having a valid "Offshore Survival Certificate" could mean the difference between getting a job and not - however it is worth remembering that doing this course does not guarantee a job offshore. Also, since different countries have different requirements think carefully about where you want to work before financing your own course.

What the

[ Back to Top ]

•  Offshore Medical (OGUK - Formerly UKOOA) - Whats required?

This information was correct at the time of posting.  Please check in the Forum for any recent changes.

Every offshore worker must undergo and pass a medical examination which classifies them as medically fit to work in the offshore environment. Different offshore authorities have different requirements. For UK waters, only physicians who are approved by the United Kingdom Offshore Operators Association (OGUK - UKOOA) Health Advisory Committee should carry out the examination.

The offshore medical certificate, as it is commonly known, is only valid for a limited time, and you need to renew it to continue working offshore. The frequency for renewal depends on the authority controlling the asset you are visiting and your age.

For UK waters, all assets are controlled by OGUK (formerly UKOOA) and renewals are necessary 2-yearly, with effect from 1 Jan 2007, irrespective of the age of the offshore person. Individual Operators retain the right to request medical assessments more frequently.

A typical examination will begin with you filling out an extensive form on your medical history, and lifestyle e.g. exercise etc. After this there will be a:

      • Urine check
      • Height, weight and resultant Body Mass Index (BMI) calculation
      • Blood pressure
      • Basic eye sight test
      • Lung capacity check
      • Hearing test
      • A physical examination by a doctor - check stature, listen to your breathing, reflexes etc.
      • The doctor will also discuss the form you filled in, and carry out any additional checks they think necessary e.g. blood sample if required
      • Certificate of examination

The latest list of OGUK registered doctors (along with full contact information) can be found at:


[ Back to Top ]

Search ROVworld NEWS

Site Info