August 2011 marks the pioneering mission of SBSS's largest and most advanced trenching ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) Sea Lion III. SBSS was contracted to carry out post lay burial work in Hong Kong water for AAG international submarine telecom system shortly after her deliver to SBSS cable ship CS Fu An.
The client required a critical section of AAG cable to be buried by a 3m trenching ROV for additional protection along a laid stretch which wasn't buried by the main lay vessel. The section was buried and inspected in good time with satisfactory results by the end client after inspecting the burial report. The system's high power and precise maneuverability proved to be an effective and safe solution to tackle complex sections of deep burial in which were difficult or impossible to perform by conventional trenchers or injectors.
Before this, Sea Lion III did her sea trial onboard CS Fu An and executed her first task - the swift and precise recovery of subsea based scientific equipment at depths of up to 1,200m in south China sea with her accurate detecting system and twin 7-function manipulators.
Representing the cutting edge in ROV technology, Sea Lion III is designed to address the most challenging industrial applications of repair, post-lay inspection and deep trenching duties of up to 3 meter burial with a designed working depth of 2,500m, and can meet the growing customer demands in Telecoms, Power and Oil & Gas. With the arrival of Sea Lion III, SBSS' advanced fleet of subsea equipment is further strengthened.
Features and advantages:
- Deep Burial of submarine cables up to 3 meters
- Post lay Inspection and Burial (PLIB) of submarine cables in water depths to 2,500m
- Adjustable width for jet tools to handle a wide range of products i.e large cables, repeaters, pipelines, etc.
- Intelligent Power Control - More power & efficiency diverted to burial performance
- Excellent trenching performance with good maneuverability
- Hydrodynamic design with high power thrusters to handle 3 knots current
- Latest High Flow design with 2m and 3m jet tools for burial
- Advanced cable depressor system with sensors for accurate and controlled burial
- Integrated cable recovery system
- Advanced real-time control and monitoring trenching process